(Funny story...I came upon the four year old playing with some toys by himself and singing "You've got to get up and try, try, try, Gotta get up and try, try try, You gotta get up and try try try..." (Pink). He was nailing it too. That kid cracks me up.)
Anyway, I was inspired by this and this.
1. Have nice dinners on Sundays: We try to eat dinner together during the week but so often a portion of us are running off to practice or scouts or my husband is out of town or at a meeting. Those of us that are here always eat dinner at the table (except for Friday night Pizza-and-a-Movie-night) but I thought it would be nice to have a traditional, "fancy" dinner on Sunday afternoons, the sort of meals that take a bit more time to prepare. Stuffed shells. Chicken pot pie. Pot roast, for crying out loud. I never make pot roast. Oh! And there should be a dessert too. And cloth napkins! I just have to plan ahead for it.
Current Status: My first attempt will be in two days. I...have not planned anything yet.
2. Drink more water: I just finished a round of evil, evil antibiotics that made me the thirstiest I have ever been. FOR A WEEK STRAIGHT. It woke me up in the middle of the night, that's how thirsty I was. No matter how much water I drank it was not enough to quench the never ending parched desert that was my throat. Thankfully, I am done with the medication but I am still trying to drink water like I was when I had the driest cotton mouth in all the land. It is good for me and if I am drinking water I am not drinking artificial sweeteners, which is a habit I am trying to kick as well.
Current Status: Pretty good, actually, although I'm only 4 days in. I just have to drink the rest of the
3. Go on more walks: My son's preschool is about a 20-30 minute walk from here (times may vary depending on the mood of your 4 year old) and he goes three days a week. The trouble is that it is also a 5 minute drive from here. Often I am looking to maximize my child free time and I want the car with me after I drop him off so I can speed on my way to enjoying my sweet sweet freedom. I am going to try to walk more often though.
Current Status: Today was his first day back. I did not walk. Boo. Maybe I will walk to pick him up. We shall see how long this writing thing takes.
4. Figure out my camera: When I was looking for pictures to use for our Christmas card this year I made the discovery that almost every single picture I had for the year 2012 was taken with my phone. Not OK. So I asked for a DSLR camera for Christmas and now I need to figure out how to use it. Even using it as a point and shoot has gotten me more great pictures the last two weeks than I had all last year..over the course of 2013 I would like to teach myself how to use every feature it's got.
Current Status: Pretty good...I've been using it and I like the pictures I'm getting. I need to make sure I make time to practice and experiment when we are just hanging out and I'm not worried that I will miss an important shot.
5. Write more/post more: This one is pretty obvious. How about a goal of posting once a week.
Current Status: Well I'm here. So far so good.
6. Get a dog: Our dog died in 2009 and I miss having one around. I have this idea in my head that the perfect dog for us is just going to fall into our lap but I need to let go of that and just go to a shelter and start looking already.
Current Status: Haven't really started, although I did go to a shelter to look last year and last week I looked online. I had to stop because it was making me sad.
7. Come up with a kids/electronics plan: We just need to find a balance. I don't care if they play some video games but if I don't keep it in check they become obsessed and that is all they want to do. I hate monitoring this, I really do. Not because I don't think it needs to be done but because it feels like a constant, endless negotiation that no one ever win/is happy. It is exhausting. I even tried letting them have free reign and play as much as they wanted thinking they would get tired of it eventually and it would lose it's appeal. That did not work. I think this really seemed to be an issue during break when they didn't have school/practice/scouts/homework to take up most of their time. How can I manage this so that it manages itself? Should I use tickets? Three tickets a week, each ticket good for one hour? And the threat of losing tickets if they say "Mom, I'm booooored" when electronics are off (or for many other infractions....hmmmm, I am liking this).
Current Status: Still thinking
8. Finish 2010 and 2011 Scrapbooks: I hate being this far behind. I don't remember any details or funny stories or things people said and my scrapbooks get boring. If I can finish 2010 and 2011 this year then I can finish 2012 and 2013 in 2014 and then I'll be working on 2014 during 2015 and catch up with myself.
Current Status: I printed pictures from 2010 over Christmas break so I am ready to start but seriously? Did you read that last paragraph? 2015? Gah!
9. Have a girls night in once a month/Go on date with husband once a month: In December I had some friends over on a Tuesday night to watch Love Actually and drink wine and wrap Christmas presents. It was so much fun and I didn't even need to hire a sitter. There is no reason why I can't do that more often (have friends over, not wrap presents...although we could have wine again). The dating thing has actually been going pretty well lately.
Current Status: Have nothing planned in either area for January yet. Must get on it.
10. Rosary/Adoration: I always feel good when I do this so why don't I do it more often? I would love to set myself the goal of going once a week but maybe I should start doing it once a month and then go from there. I don't want to be too easy on myself, though. Slacker.
Current Status: Haven't yet begun to figure it out
11. Purposeful Evenings: This is on my list every year...eh. It is possible that evenings are just not that productive for me. By the time I go through all the hoopla of getting them in bed I'm just done. The problem, of course, is that it is only when they are in bed that they are really and truly leaving me the hell alone.
Current Status: Unacceptable. Must find inner reserves of endurance and motivate or half the stuff on this list is just not going to get done.
12. Set an hour aside on Sunday nights to get organized: Once I'm done fixing that Sunday dinner (and cleaning up from said dinner) I would like to take an hour to sit with my planner and look at the the week ahead. What will we be eating all week? When will Bill be out of town? When can I go to adoration? Is there a good night for a girls night in? What days can I walk Matt to school? When will I write? All of these things on my list are not going to just happen. I have to plan them.
Current Status: I ordered a planner and it will be coming in the mail any day now. I am very excited about this planner is the best nerdiest way possible. I hope it comes today or tomorrow so that I can use it THIS Sunday. Squeeeee! (What?)
Edited (quickly) to Add:
Of course I thought of a whole bunch more as soon as I got into the car to pick up Matt from school (yes the car...shut up).
13. Don't yell at the kids when they are doing what I want them to do but they are doing it slowly. (Examples: getting in the car, walking, eating, getting dressed...everything)
14. Get my ankle checked out so I can...
15. ...run a 5K this year.
16. Go on at least three camping trips this year
17. Read more (yes I know I read a lot but it is sporadic and in 2012 I only read around 35 books where usually I am well over 60 for the year so READ MORE).
18. Listen more. (I talk too much. Seriously. I could cut my talking in half and still talk more than I should.)
19. Do not cut my hair short this year
20. Continue to do read-alouds with the kids (We read The Hobbit together in 2012 and it was so fun).
21. Find a go to cocktail (besides G&T).
22. Go to Disneyland at least 6 times
23. Buy/wear more skirts (and the shoes to go with the skirts)
24. Surprise each kid once a month with something special and apart from his brothers....a small treat in his lunch, a note, an outing, a surprise on the bed when he gets home...something that lets him know I am thinking about him.
I'm going to hit publish again but I have no doubt I will think of more.
(Super special #25...Proofread before you hit publish. I was so intent on hitting publish before I ran out the door to get M I didn't proofread at all and it showed. Gah. Slow down!)